Sunday, December 7, 2014

"A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step"

A Chinese philosopher, Lao-tzu, once said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Before Thanksgiving I took my first step on my new journey and decided to fill out my application to become a boxer for Atlanta Corporate Fight Night 9. What is Atlanta Corporate Fight Night you may ask. Hailed as a "black tie, black eye affair," Corporate Fight Night is where business class people go toe-to-toe in a real sanctioned amateur boxing match to raise money for charity. Just like real boxers we will have to get our boxer's license, train for 10 weeks, make weight, solicit sponsorships and donations, and sell tickets for our upcoming fight. The charity for Fight Night 9 will be Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

Allow me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Lindsey "Disaster" Struck (kind of like roller derby every boxer has a ring name, Disaster is mine). By day I work for the City of Decatur in the Active Living Department where I am the Assistant Program Coordinator for Athletics. I help organize and coordinate youth and adult sports leagues such as basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc... Most days I love my job and really enjoy what I do. When not working I like playing softball in the Decatur Women's Sports League, where I coach my team, Victorious Secret. I also enjoy playing ice hockey with the Lady Thrashers at the Cooler in Alpharetta and when I can find the time (which isn't often) I love to play roller derby in the Atlanta Roller Girls Rec League. Also, when the weather's warmer I have a blast doing obstacle course races and zombie 5K's.

I'm sure somebody wise once said, "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it". Most that know me really well know I struggled with alcohol addiction, got into some trouble but I've been sober for over 5 years now. I also have a history of being overweight. Two years ago in January of 2013 I was over 250 pounds. For somebody that's only 5'2" that's definitely not healthy. After an embarrassing time of trying to fit into some borrowed hockey gear one night I decided enough was enough and after my birthday on the 12th I was determined to change things. I had been overweight ever since I was a kid and I wanted to be more active so I started slowly changing my diet and exercising more, in the first year I lost 50 pounds. Then in January of 2014, some coworkers told me about a weight loss challenge called Decatur's Biggest Loser. I decided a new challenge would be what I needed to help me continue with what I had started last year and signed up. For my birthday I received a two month boxing membership to Buckhead Fight Club. I started taking fitness classes and got hooked. I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week and abiding by a strict diet. By the end of the weight loss challenge in March (7 weeks) I had lost 35 pounds and was down to 175. I won first place out of all the females and placed 2nd over-all with the help of my trainer Terri Moss and of course the support of my girlfriend Jean and my family. Since then I've stuck with my diet (not quite as strictly) but have currently lost over a hundred pounds and am under 150. I have a tattoo on my arm that reads "Don't let your past dictate who you are," the rest of the quote goes, "but let it be a part of who you become". (That Dear Abby really knows what she's talking about). I wrestled with what to include on this blog and how much is too much information. Ultimately I decided to include this to give a little insight into my background and some of the things I struggle with and work on to overcome. Also my hope is maybe it will give somebody some hope that if you really want to change things you can. In the end you are responsible for your actions and choices but I couldn't have done any of it without the encouragement and help of my family, friends, AA, and honestly the leagues and gyms which I belong to.

I have had the honor of being able to witness Atlanta Corporate Fight Night from a unique point of view from most people. One night after a softball game a year and a half ago a group of us went out to dinner. Some of the girls on the team were talking about going to boxing the next morning Jean (my girlfriend) became inquisitive. She had kick boxed growing up and thought it sounded like fun so she decided to join them. She showed up to Buckhead Fight Club the next morning unknowing that both our lives would be forever changed. After a week at the gym, the owner, trainer, and all around amazing person, Terri "The Boss" Moss, asked Jean if she wanted to participate in a show she puts on called Atlanta Corporate Fight Night 7. In 10 weeks I saw Terri help transform her into a lean, mean more confident person. She raised over $1500 for a charity called CHRIS Kids. (CHRIS kids is a group home in the metro-Atlanta area that serves children in the foster care system with mental health and other therapeutic needs). Mean Jean, with just a little over 10 weeks of boxing experience went onto win her fight by split decision against Makeba Reed Johnson, a Wellness, Physical Education, and CPR/AED Instructor for Spelman College. I got to experience her highs and lows of being a fighter. She is an amazing woman and her experience has not only inspired me but also inspired several other people to fight. Robert Lewis Jr., her contact with CHRIS kids, was so inspired after watching the show, he fought and won by split decision also in Fight Night 8. Brandi "BOOM BOOM" Ansley, a close friend and softball junkie, was at a cross roads and looking for a new challenge in her life and decided to partake in Fight Night 8 as well. Holly Levine, aka "Kale Krunch", a friend of ours heard Jean talking about the gym and wanted to try it out. She became hooked on boxing and not only did she participate in ACFN8 but also participated in the Women's National Golden Gloves in Florida this past year. It's hard to explain what I've been able to witness from all of these people, as they've trained for their fights. I've been able to experience second hand the emotions and challenges everybody has had as they prepared to get in the ring and what it was like for them afterward. I feel like I need a new challenge. I'm ready to push myself and my limits. Ultimately I know it will just be me in the ring, but as I've experienced through my friends that have fought before me I won't be able to do it without the support of those around me. So save the date, Thursday, February 19, 2015 I will make my boxing debut at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis. Soon I'll find out who I'll be fighting as the fight card gets set. Throughout my training I plan to update this blog, my hope is that you and others will follow along my journey with me on my road to Atlanta Corporate Fight Night 9. It will include important dates, ways you can get tickets, sponsorship information, and maybe a couple other fundraising ideas and dates that you can participate in or come out and support if you'd like.

Also here are some links I wanted to include if you'd like some more information on some of the places I mentioned above...
Atlanta Corporate Fight Night - corporatefightnight.com
Buckhead Fight Club - buckheadfightclub.com
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta - choa.org
CHRIS Kids - chriskids.org
Decatur Women's Sports League - dwsl.biz
Atlanta Lady Thrashers - ladythrashers.com
Atlanta Roller Girls - atlantarollergirls.com

1 comment: